How do you stop bad habits? We all have them. Some less and some more. Some people have no idea what they are doing and why, while others know exactly what they are doing.
They know how bad it is for them but they choose to ignore it. So they keep on doing it every day for various reasons thinking nothing will happen, usually until it does!
A bad habit can be anything… drinking too much alcohol, overeating, smoking, not taking care of yourself, not washing your hands, grinding teeth, eating too many sweets, being rude with someone, always being late, gossip, watching too much TV, procrastinating, overthinking, lying, criticizing everything, spending too much money, gambling, playing to many computer games, not socializing, speeding, biting your nails…and the list goes on.
Some bad habits are not really that bad. They are more annoying than bad and you can overcome them easily while others can seriously damage your health and your life.
Habits form from different reasons and it doesn’t matter the age. Check out these reasons people give me when I ask them why they’re doing a certain thing:
– because I think I really like it
– because it makes me feel in a certain way
– because everyone is doing it
– because it didn’t hurt me so far
– you only live once so why not?
– I don’t do it very often or go over the “limit”
– because I’m sure I can quit anytime I want
– because it’s not that bad
– you just can’t live without it
– you can’t function right without it
– because of my environment
– because someone I know did it an nothing bad happened
– because I’m too stressed out
– because I get bored
– you need to do it to feel accepted
– I had no idea it was that bad
– because it gives you a break from your everyday stress
– because it calms you down and makes you feel better
– all my colleagues are doing it
– they will make fun of me if I don’t do it
– it’s the only way I can sleep at night (Sleeping pills)
– someone told me to do it
Do any of these reasons feel familiar to you?
Truth is… you have some bad habits. And since you’re reading this article you’re probably looking for a way to get rid of them. So here are my tips on breaking those bad habits that ruin your life. Continue Reading →